Last week is was Facebook’s 10th birthday, and although this might be a slightly belated happy birthday message – the SMPR team thought we would take you through a quick timeline to show how rapidly Facebook has developed and also the impact it is currently having on the social media world.
Firstly, Can you believe that Facebook started out as a website for select college students only? It has most definitely come a long way because it is currently the world’s No. 1 social media website.
To commemorate the social network, here are ten facts you might not have known.
- Facebook boasts 1.25 billion monthly users, which is equivalent to about one-sixth of the world’s population, 33 million of which live in the UK. These users have made 201.6 billion friend connections and clicked the ‘like button’ 3.4 trillion times.
- The Facebook logo is blue because of founder Mark Zuckerberg’s colour blindness. The colour that he sees best is blue, so that was the decision made.
- The image dubbed the “Facebook Guy”, which could have been seen on the original Facebook website, was in fact Hollywood legend Al Pacino.
- Users spend an average of 20 minutes a day on Facebook.
- We upload around 350million photos to Facebook every day, and about 78% of traffic to Facebook comes from our smartphones.