Last week is was Facebook’s 10th birthday, and although this might be a slightly belated happy birthday message – the SMPR team thought we would take you through a quick timeline to show how rapidly Facebook has developed and also the impact it is currently having on the social media world.
Firstly, Can you believe that Facebook started out as a website for select college students only? It has most definitely come a long way because it is currently the world’s No. 1 social media website.
To commemorate the social network, here are ten facts you might not have known.
- Facebook boasts 1.25 billion monthly users, which is equivalent to about one-sixth of the world’s population, 33 million of which live in the UK. These users have made 201.6 billion friend connections and clicked the ‘like button’ 3.4 trillion times.
- The Facebook logo is blue because of founder Mark Zuckerberg’s colour blindness. The colour that he sees best is blue, so that was the decision made.
- The image dubbed the “Facebook Guy”, which could have been seen on the original Facebook website, was in fact Hollywood legend Al Pacino.
- Users spend an average of 20 minutes a day on Facebook.
- We upload around 350million photos to Facebook every day, and about 78% of traffic to Facebook comes from our smartphones.
- With more than 75 million fans, the company with the most likes on Facebook is Coca-Cola. In second place is Disney followed by Converse in third.
- Facebook had 650 users four days after going live. The Facebook team watched the social network gain its one-billionth user on September 14th 2012.
- The USA has the leading Facebook user base with 155 million people which represents 23.6% of Facebook’s total users.
- In 20 minutes…
- 1,000,000 links are shared on Facebook.
- 1,484,000 event invites are posted
- 1,323,000 photos are tagged
- 1,851,000 status updates are entered
- 1.972 million friend requests are accepted
- 2,716,000 photos are uploaded
- 2,716,000 messages are sent
10.There are more than 30 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared on Facebook each month.
Facebook has most definitely helped shape the way in which SMPR does business on a daily basis. Whether it’s creating polls, publishing blogs, uploading podcasts or importing RSS feeds, Facebook has played a vital role with regards to the manner in which we get our clients out there.
Here’s to another 10 years!